Toronto is the largest city in Canada, and a real hotbed of history, culture and modern arts. It’s located on the northwest shore of the beautiful Lake Ontario, and so this destination offers some great opportunities for exciting outdoor activities… in addition to a wealth of urban attractions.
Why Choose a Holiday in Toronto?
The European heritage of Toronto dates back as far as the mid 18th century – first with a French fort built near the modern-day exhibition grounds, and later followed by an early English trading post. Nowadays the culture of Toronto takes its influences from a wealth of European traditions, blending seamlessly with Native American and contemporary global cultures.
As a result, the breadth of attractions on offer during a holiday in Toronto really is breathtaking. From museums, galleries and stately houses, through to modern architectural wonders and one of the most iconic city skylines in North America; Toronto will have something unique to offer every visitor!
Toronto’s Top 5 Attractions
- The Art Gallery of Ontario: this is the largest gallery to be found anywhere in Canada, and displays an outstanding range of works – from the classics through to cutting edge, contemporary artists. The building itself was recently redesigned, by the prestigious architect Frank Gehry. Inside you’ll be able to view the largest collection of Henry Moore sculptures in the world.
- The Royal Ontario Museum: built in 1910, the building which houses this impressive museum is a national treasure in itself. This attractive Romanesque revivalist building houses thousands of artefacts, which range from dinosaur bones to Ancient Chinese treasures. Here you’ll also find the world’s oldest totem pole, now over 100 years old.
- The CN Tower: this iconic tower is a must-see on any sightseeing trip to Toronto. At a height in excess of 500 metres, it’s the second tallest freestanding structure to be found anywhere in North America! A glass elevator provides passage to the observation deck at the top of the tower – where you’ll be able to enjoy a revolving restaurant, and some of the finest city views you’re ever likely to see.
- Rogers Centre: for any sports fans, a pilgrimage to the world renowned Rogers Centre will make the perfect day excursion during your holiday. Formerly known as the ‘Sky Dome’, this vast stadium is the home of the American League’s Toronto Blue Jays… as well as Canadian Football team, the Argonauts, and the National Football League's Buffalo Bills.
- Casa Loma: Toronto boasts a number of stately private homes and historical settlements, ranging from the Black Creek Pioneer Village to Spadina House. Casa Loma is the pinnacle of elegance however, and offers visitors the chance to step back in time – and explore the lavishly decorated home of Canadian financier Sir Henry Pellatt.
Start planning your Toronto Holiday with lastminute.com
Looking for a great deal on a holiday to Toronto? When you talk to the experts at lastminute.com, we’ll be able to help you plan every aspect of your Toronto holiday! From flights and accommodation, through to things to see and do – we’re the industry leaders at providing tailor-made holidays to top destinations.