Wild west meets modern city in Calgary
In the foothills of Canada's mighty rocky mountains lies sprawling Calgary, a fast-growing and modern city that has managed to hold onto its wild west roots. The city is packed with things to see and do, great places to eat out and fun-fuelled nightspots. Combine that with warm, dry summers and plenty of sunshine, plus cold winters where there's the opportunity to head into the mountains to go skiing or snowboarding, then you've got a winning combination.
A holiday to remember in Calgary
For a city born out of the wild west, Calgary is the epitome of urban living with shops, restaurants, bars and clubs packing its city centre and suburbs. For lovers of the outdoors, Calgary makes an appealing base for a holiday, with the Rocky Mountains within easy reach and the city itself having a multitude of green spaces and parkland. Take a picnic to Stanley Park, stroll through the prairie grassland of Nose Hill Park or go on a hike in Fish Creek Provincial Park, a 19km long urban park.
Play golf, go trout fishing in Calgary's Bow River and horse riding in the ranch land around Calgary or trek through Banff National Park. In winter a holiday to Calgary is all about snowboarding and skiing in the Rocky Mountains, while spring and summer activities can include whitewater rafting on Bow River.
Enjoy a train journey with the Alberta Prairie Railway Excursions or relax in hot mineral water and marvel at the mountain views at the Canadian Rockies Hot Springs. Calgary has festivals littered throughout the year celebrating art and music with WordFest and Calgary Folk Music Festival. When it comes to shopping, Calgary has a bit of everything from classy boutiques to large-scale shopping centres, plus markets such as Calgary Farmer's Market selling local meat and dairy produce.
Calgary's top 5 attractions
- Calgary Stampede – Join in with all the fun of the 10 day long festival, which celebrates all things rodeo and western with music, parades and food.
- Gasoline Alley Museum at Heritage Park Historical Village – Make the most of a day out at this interactive museum by strolling through an early 19th century street scene and looking at vintage automobiles.
- Calgary Zoo – One of the best in North America, Calgary Zoo has over 1000 animals, a prehistoric park and beautiful botanical gardens.
- Canada Olympic Park – During the winter season go skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing and bob-sleighing in the park located on the north west edge of the city.
- Calaway Park – Spend the day at the largest amusement park in Western Canada that the whole family can enjoy.
Start planning your Calgary adventure with lastminute.com
Tailor-make your perfect holiday to Calgary with lastminute.com, and soon you could be jetting off to Western Canada for a break packed with shopping, fabulous restaurants, museums, festivals and the great outdoors. Book your Calgary holiday today and get ready for a Canadian adventure you won't forget.